AF CyberWorx seeks innovative solutions to enhance airman fitness. This includes applications that improve performance and augment readiness and decision making. Outcomes of this event have potential for continued collaboration with interested AF and non-AF customers. In order to foster participation and future collaboration, the Partnership Intermediary (PI) may provide incentives to participants to accelerate the advancement of these efforts and strengthen partnering relationships while long-term agreements between interested AF & non-AF parties can be explored.
For background on where we’ve been, check out our AFSmartBases-3PT design sprint report for inspiration. You can gain insights on users personas and airmen pain points or needs that were identified during our design sprint. Don’t feel confined by the ideas shared in the report - these simply provide potential launching points for innovative ideas.
Wearable/Mobile Fitness Application
Use technology to help improve Airmen's fitness through monitoring and coaching, and by alerting key health partners of member's health concerns. This technology should offer the opportunity for personalized guidance to members who want to improve their fitness and/or health. This fitness system will support and promote a culture of fitness among airmen to optimize overall health and readiness.
During this Challenge, we're excited to see ideas that:
- Incorporate specific, actionable pilots (or "scalable betas") that can be launched in the near term for use by the warfighter
- Demonstrate relevance for airmen, particularly those struggling with overall health and fitness, to promote and encourage year-round fitness
- Facilitate seamless translations between physical training and warfighter performance
- Include innovative and unique ideas that enable change
What does it need to do?
- End application device agnostic preferred
- Ability for members to create their own profile
- Input fitness goals - for example milestones, timeframe, frequency
- Gather fitness information
- Collect data on individuals & be capable of aggregating group data to oversee collective unit progress
- Data available in real-time by fitness leaders/coaches to monitor progress
- Provide ability for fitness leaders to coach & motivate airmen through the app
Phases and Descriptions
- Phase I: Submit your ideas - We'll select the top 10 ideas to advance to the next phase.
- Phase II: User Feedback - You'll be partnered with Air Force users to provide valuable feedback on your solution.
- Phase III: Final Pitches - We will select the top 4 teams to present their solutions to the judging panel. Teams not selected to advance will receive $1,000 incentive for their contributions.
- The top solutions will be eligible for a participation incentive up to $20,000, $7,000, $5,000, and $2,000.
Who can participate?
This challenge is open to any interested participants – join as a team or an individual. Evaluations will be made based on the technical requirements and business pitch. It is up participants to determine the best composition to meet the needs of the challenge effectively.
How do I apply to participate?
Fill out an application, submit your participation agreement, and upload your file(s) that showcase your concept within the open submission window from August 1 through August 30, 2018. Acceptable file formats for concept are: .PDF, .PPT, .JPEG, .DOC, .MP4, .MOV
What format should my Phase I idea be submitted in?
We are open to ideas that range from early text concepts all the way to a working application, and everything in between. Whether you just have an innovative, unique idea or napkin sketches, or even a graphic diagram, we encourage you to submit your idea.
What could I expect from Phase II partnering with Air Force users?
Each team will be partnered with airmen from all over the nation that you will share your ideas. These airmen will provide feedback on the user experience and conceptual designs of your ideas. Your partnered airmen will provide insights on their own experiences and pain points that will continue to shape and drive designs as you uncover new challenges airmen are facing. By incorporating Air Force users in this human-centered design process, solutions will be validated and optimized to meet the needs of the end user - the airmen.
How will my Intellectual Property be used/protected?
AF CyberWorx believes in deliberate intellectual property (IP) rights and management by the private sector and the Department of Defense (DoD). Our stance is that an intentional and commercially oriented IP management posture enables greater innovation and collaboration while maintaining the integrity of military technologies by closing the door to potential adversaries that may otherwise obtain the technology. AF CyberWorx recognizes that enriched IP management promotes our ability to deliver solutions to the warfighter that rapidly enhance their capabilities by optimizing adaptability and integration with current systems and needs.
If I am not local to Colorado Springs/Colorado, can I still participate?
Yes! This challenge will be held asynchronously online, including the final pitches. We will utilize video teleconference (VTC) technology throughout to provide a real-time opportunity for all participants to engage with users, stakeholders, and judges and allow for the ability to conduct Q&A sessions without requiring participants to travel to Colorado Springs.
We truly appreciate the time and ingenuity each team is bringing to the AF CyberWorx Open Design Challenge! At defined milestones, solutions will be evaluated based on the following categories:
- Innovation - Is the concept new and different? Team should demonstrate how it differs from other current solutions.
- Relevance – Does it solve a real problem for USAF airmen?
- Intuitiveness – Is the solution user-friendly – interactive and displays information/data in a dynamic way? Is this solution easy to use? Does the flow make sense?
- Value - Does it actually answer the question posed and provide a feasible solution? What value does the product provide to users?
- Impact – Is there a clear impact to airmen with this solution?
- Feasibility – Does this app actually work? If only a prototype or proof of concept, how hard would it be to implement in real time?
- Uniqueness – Is this an idea no one else has had? What tools did you use to make this stand out/different from other solutions?
- Scalability – Could this solution be applied to other problems and expanded to provide more/other solutions for the customer in the future? Or is it so specific that it is only good for one thing?
Submission Window Opens
Submission Window Closes
Submission Review and Decision/Down-select; 8-10
Design Period Start/Teams paired with users
Design Period End; Design Review and Decision/Down-select; 3-4
Teams not selected to advance will receive $1,000 incentive for their contributions.
Pitch Day - Virtual or In-person Winner; 1
The top solutions will be eligible for a participation incentive up to $20,000, $7,000, $5,000, and $2,000.
AF CyberWorx Open Design Challenge Q&A
You have from August 1st until August 30th to submit your solution!
The Smart Bases final report simply provides background on where we’ve been and serves as a point of inspiration. You can gain insights on users personas and airmen pain points or needs that were identified during our design sprint. Don’t feel confined by the ideas shared in the report - these simply provide potential launching points for innovative ideas.